Why Should I Volunteer?Posted March 3, 2014, 6:15 pm by
Do you think of volunteering as just for people with a lot of time and money on their hands?
Wrong! Volunteering is for everyone. Not only does it help change the lives of others for the better, there's a lot in it for you as well.
The benefits of volunteering -- especially for teens and young people -- go on and on.
Volunteer work allows you to:
- Make lifelong friends
- Expand your social group to like-minded people outside your school or college
- Strengthen your resume
- Give you hands-on work experience
- Learn new skills
- Strengthen university applications
- Become more employable
And of course you'll be making the world a better place!
There are also a whole bunch of benefits that most people never even think about. The physical and mental health benefits you earn by solving problems, strengthening communities, and transforming lives are numerous. According to recent research, there is a strong link between volunteering and health, showing that people who volunteer having lower mortality rates and lower rates of depression than people who don't.
Where do you get started?
What are you interested in? What's your passion? What do you wish you were better at? What would you really like to do for a career?
These are all questions are already relevant at this point in your life. And volunteering can help you with all of them -- not only in figuring out what is important to you in life, but in helping you acquire the skills, knowledge, and experience to make your goals a reality.
- If you need some inspiration, browse the opportunities available in your area on TeenLife. From creative helpers to youth exchanges, community volunteers to Samaritans, the companies listed here cover almost every volunteer opportunities to suit every passion.
- Got your decision making sorted and know what you want to achieve? Lucky you! Now it's time to build the skills and experience to make you the candidate every employer will want.
- Have you done some volunteering before or want to jump in at the deep end? You could be eligible for a place volunteering abroad. There are numerous companies offering chances to help with projects all over the world, many of which help tackle poverty and inequality. These opportunities aren't for the faint hearted, but if you're up to the challenge, volunteering abroad will be a truly life-changing experience.