- Listing Type: Colleges & Universities
- Top Majors: Education, Health Care, Liberal Arts
- Degrees Awarded: 4 Year
- Type: Public
- Gender: Coed
- Country: United States
- In State Tuition: $7,242
- Out of State Tuition: $7,242
- Religious Affiliation: None
- CEEB: 1481
- IPED: 176035
A high-quality undergraduate and graduate institution for women and men in a variety of liberal arts and professional programs, MUW offers to its students dedicated professors, small classes, challenging programs, and four colleges featuring more than 50 outstanding majors and concentrations.
Our students say theres something special about The W." You might think they're talking about our ranking among the top Southern public masters universities or our small class sizes, or our best value ranking in U.S. News & World Report and Consumer Reports. Sure those are important. But what students say gives their education that extra something, is our community - down to earth, welcoming, and intellectually curious. It's what makes them feel at home.
Founded in 1884 as the first public college for women in the United States, MUW is a tradition-rich university that has been home to such noted personalities as Pulitzer Prize-winning author Eudora Welty, among others. Over 30 years ago, MUW opened its doors to men.
Today we offer men and women a distinctive education that features:
- class-sizes designed to make education personal - almost 60% of our classes have fewer than 20 students;
- professors who are committed to mentoring students,
- a curriculum that stretches intellect and instills leadership,
- and a community that is as energetic as it is welcoming.
Our four colleges feature more than 50 outstanding majors and concentrations. Outside of class, more than 75 campus organizations make campus life dynamic, interesting, and fun.