- Listing Type: Colleges & Universities
- Top Majors: Art and Design, Biological Sciences, Business and Entrepreneurship, Health Care, Psychology and Counseling, STEM
- Degrees Awarded: 4 Year + Graduate
- Type: Public
- Gender: Coed
- Country: United States
- In State Tuition: $14,258
- Out of State Tuition: $28,974
- Religious Affiliation: None
- CEEB: 3917
- IPED: 166629
- Call: 413-545-0222
As a land-grant university, UMass Amhersts mission is to provide teaching, research and public service to benefit people in Massachusetts, the nation and the world. This mission remains as vital today as it was when the institution opened its doors as the Massachusetts Agricultural College in 1867
UMass Amherst is one of the major public research universities in America. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts, the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
UMass Amherst, located in Amherst, Massachusetts, sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, 90 miles from Boston and 175 miles from New York City. The campus provides a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.