UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies Pre-College programs provide 3rd - 12th-grade students opportunities to become immersed in intellectually and academically enriching experiences that leverage the power of an internationally ranked public university. Offering online credit-bearing year-round and summer programs for kids, teens, and adults...(more)
- Listing Type: After-School Enrichment
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Program Delivery: Day, Online
- Session Start: September
- Session Length: Quarter
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Marine Biology, Bio Technology, Environmental Science
- Minimum Cost: > $1,000
Immersive, Real-World Research Applications
The Research Scholars programs at UC San Diego provide students with unparalleled educational opportunities that leverage the intellectual capital of an internationally ranked research university. Students assume the role of researcher, becoming fully immersed in projects that have real-world applications.
Dive into unique science research learning experiences that teach highly sought-after skills that can make students more competitive candidates for college admissions and internship opportunities. From Bioengineering and Life Sciences to Marine Science, explore a topic and apply today!
Fall courses are now open for enrollment!
In partnership with the Boz Institute, explore fundamental biology topics, modern laboratory techniques, and relevant bioinformatics and statistical applications. Learn to synthesize life science fundamentals, review literature, formulate hypotheses and design experiments, collect and process samples, execute experiments, analyze data, and showcase your work through poster presentations attended by local scientists and industry leaders.
Introduction to Bioinformatics introduces the theory and practical applications of bioinformatics to genes and proteins in a lecture and computer lab format. Curriculum is structed on bioinformatics primary scientific literature and utility of custom data sets emphasizing recent developments and analytical applications in genomics and proteomics.
September 26 – November 30, 2022
Online Monday & Wednesdays 4–6pm PST
- Biostatistics & Bioinformatics uses case studies and data sets from peer-reviewed published literature to introduce students to the basics of bioinformatics concepts and fundamentals. Concepts covered include experimental design, descriptive statistics, management of a large gene expression data set, and multivariate analysis.
September 27 – December 1, 2022
Online Tuesdays & Thursdays 4–6pm PST.
Biodiversity and Molecular Genetics explores and analyzes various organisms to better understand and appreciate biodiversity on anatomical, morphological, and genetic levels, tracing back animals’ evolutionary connections. Students will apply evolutionary and molecular biology concepts, extract DNA from multiple species, sequence genes critical for metabolism and adaptation, calculate mutation rates, and infer evolutionary distance between animals.
September 27 – December 1, 2022
Hybrid: Online Tuesdays 4:30–6:30pm PST. In person at the lab Thursdays 4:30–6:30pm PST.
Gain foundational knowledge in ocean sciences, specifically marine biology and related disciplines. Explore the diversity of life and how biological, chemical and physical processes drive ecosystem dynamics in a marine environment. Investigate relevant, contemporary environmental issues and how to build a career in marine science.
- Introduction to Marine Science exposes students to the processes, functions, and life forms of Earth's incredible ocean environment and develop a comprehensive foundation in biological, chemical, and physical oceanography by examining major taxonomic groups of marine organisms, important marine ecosystems and habitats, and by exploring current research and applied careers.
September 27 – November 15, 2022
Online Tuesdays & Thursdays 4–5:20pm PST.
The Inamori Scholarship is dedicated to supporting the foundation's belief that people have no higher calling than to strive for the greater good of humankind and society by finding a balance between scientific development and the enrichment of the human spirit. Application required.
Visit our website for more information on course offerings and to apply.