- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Uruguay
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College
- Program Length: Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Semester, Quarter, Other, Five Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay, Student Apartment
- Minimum Cost: $1,000 - $2,999
The Adelante program illuminates the language and cultural aspects in a way that no other program does, through work assignments and independent living situations, so candidates experience life much like the locals live.
The program is much more than the four hours each day of studying or interning, it is also about absorbing, experiencing and learning the life and language of the host city. We provide an 'open door' in more ways than one. The Uruguay internship programs are based in Montevideo. Montevideo does not feel like the major, capital city that it is: there are not many high rise buildings and there are trees, and just a million trees, everywhere. There is the "downtown " area defined by Calle 18 de Julio, then there is the "Ciudad Vieja", the older, smaller historic part of town nearer to the port, and "Pocitos" the trendy area with great night spots and restaurants, and some really beautiful suburban areas along the beach with huge houses Beverly Hills-style.
Internships available in the following sectors:
- Graphic Design
What You're Getting:
- Program can be done for academic credit
- Housing is included. Live like an Uruguayan in your own room in a shared apartment with other Adelante candidates/international students or elect to live with an Uruguayan family (inquire for price difference for homestay option as this includes meals and laundry).
- Internships are for 4 hours each day in a growing variety of locally owned businesses and corporations. You will gain real, international work experience to add to your resume.
- Some great excursions are included during your intensive Spanish coursework — think interior country tours, sailboat trips to nearby islands, “trekking” (a bit less effort than hiking), 3-hour driving tour of Montevideo, horse-back riding & cultural trips. (There may be some small additional fees such as museum entrance, drinks etc).
- The Adelante Director in Uruguay speaks English and he is a native of Montevideo — he will be one of your most important resources.