- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Morocco, Spain
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College
- Program Length: Semester
- Start Month: February, September
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Selective: No
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay, Other, Tents
- Application Fee: $100
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships, Payment Terms
- Minimum Cost: $10,000 - $20,000
Learn about Human Migration, and immerse yourself in Spanish & Arabic language studies, on your Carpe Diem semester.
Students will explore complex issues by engaging with Moroccan NGOs focusing on women’s rights, youth empowerment, and human rights for migrant populations and climate refugees. Visit the migrant “detention” centers in Tarifa on the coast of Spain and explore issues of human migration with your Overseas Educators and local experts.
In both Spain and Morocco, students will study Spanish and Arabic to become aspirationally conversant - leveraging homestays and market visits to augment classroom learning.
Wander the history and cobbled streets of ancient Spanish and Moroccan cities and marketplaces. Walk the ancient pilgrimage "el Camino de Santiago" as you complete a section of it from Granada to Cordoba.
Through small groups of no more than 12 students, you will experiment with leadership roles, self-awareness, and purpose.
Semester Highlights Include:
Volunteer with Refugees
Trek the Camino de Santiago in Spain
Spanish and Arabic Language Immersion
Volunteer with Youth Empowerment Organizations