- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College
- Program Length: Academic Year, Other
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Academic
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Other, Student Apartment
- Application Fee: $400
- Minimum Cost: > $20,000
- Call: (541) 388-3043
College Excel is the nation’s leading residential college support program for traditional and non-traditional learners (18+) who need extra support to be successful in and out of the college classroom.
Located in Bend, Oregon students attend one of our local colleges and live in our private student housing while receiving daily, one-on-one support. Our team of certified academic and life coaches, college professors, wellness experts and learning specialists work closely with each student to acquire the academic and personal skills necessary to make their collegiate experience a success.
Our comprehensive program is based on a whole student approach in which our students have the opportunity to experience college in a small, supportive, structured and supervised community setting. Services include academic tracking, coaching, tutoring and supervised study hours; life, behavioral and neuro-coaching services; wellness and fitness activities; parent education, coaching and support; independent living skills training; private student housing and college accredited courses. Our state of the art facilities are located within minutes of the Central Oregon Community College and Oregon State University Cascades campuses where we enjoy a collaborative relationship with faculty to help accommodate the specific needs of our students.
In addition to taking college courses students are required to participate in our Student Success Curriculum designed to teach the non-academic core competencies every student needs as they embrace their new responsibilities and emerging adulthood. Delivered in experiential, weekly seminars topics are taught by our coaches and outside professionals. Current topics include: How to Handle Digital Overload; Personal Finance; Rock Climbing to Overcome Anxiety; Mindfulness Training; Conflict Resolution and Interpersonal Communication Skills; Emotional Intelligence; Meal Planning and Cooking; Critical Thinking Skills; Yoga, Circuit Training and Tai Chi.
Students also enjoy free time on their weekends and fun community activities.
College Excel is open year round and includes programming for the traditional academic year and 6 and 12-week summer intensive programs. Students are welcome to enroll anytime during the year. Typical length of stay for academic year students is 9-12 months and determined by each student’s individual needs and progress.
College Excel students are required to:
- Be 18+ years old,
- Have earned their high school diploma (or GED)
- Have a Full Scale IQ of 85+ and a strong desire to pursue a college degree
Typically, our students need help with one or more of the following challenges:
- Self-management skills
- Motivational difficulties
- Anxiety and/or depression
- Learning disabilities/differences
- Executive functioning deficits
- Processing disorders
- High-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Effectively transitioning to adulthood and independence (i.e., failure to launch or emerging adulthood)
Our services include:
- One-on-one academic tracking, coaching and tutoring
- College accredited courses
- One-on-one life, behavioral and neuro-coaching
- Parent education, coaching and support services
- Student Success Curriculum
- Daily wellness and fitness activities (M-F)
- Private student housing
- Independent living skills training
We are a welcoming, non-judgmental, and supportive community of learners, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression and/or identity, (dis)ability, marital status, or religion.
Visit www.collegeexcel.com today to learn more about our comprehensive approach to and impressive track record of sustainable student success.