- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Belize, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, France, Ghana, Greece, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kenya, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Myanmar, New Zealand, Panama, Peru, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam, Tanzania, Nepal, Puerto Rico, Sikkim, Guatemala, Honduras, Uganda, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mozambique, Galapagos Islands, Bali, Borneo, Multiple Locations
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College, None
- Program Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Academic Year, Semester, Quarter, Other, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: No
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Cabins, Dorm, Homestay, Hotel, Other, Tents, Boat, Student Apartment
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships
Our Gap Year approach – The Global Routes Independent Track (GRIT) – is tailored to the individual goals and interests of each participant with the dedicated support and mentorship from Adam Aronovitz, Global Routes Director and Global Routes' expert travel directors.
Our GRIT Gap experiences are best for intrepid, motivated, and engaged explorers, ages 18+ at the time of travel, who are seeking a more independent experience over a group-based program, but who also want expert support along the way to plan and navigate their Gap experience. Once you’ve filled out your ‘Design your Gap’ intake form on our website, eligible “gappers” will be invited to a free consultation call to explore your goals and options.
Through our initial conversations, we’ll learn more about your interests and goals, and place you with a partner organization abroad based on your schedule, budget and interests. We’ll support you with your pre-trip planning and will be in contact throughout your experience to debrief and plan next steps.
Traveling abroad for any extended period of time is exciting and transformative. Your experience will have a long-lasting impact on the way you see the world and your confidence as a traveler. Still, there’s a lot to consider. We’re here to make sure you have the most meaningful experience possible by guiding you through your program development process.
EXAMPLES OF GRIT PLACEMENTS
Live on a reforestation project in South India, Kenya, or Haiti, working on water conservation projects, planting tree forests, leading environmental education initaitives, and living with a community of like-minded volunteers
Teach English to Buddhist monk students in Nepal while basking in the glory of the Himalayas. Take a break from teaching to complete one of Nepal’s famed teahouse treks.
Teach soccer and English in the altiplano in Bolivia while mastering your Spanish.
Get certified through a Permaculture Design Course in Thailand and work on an eco-community.
Become fluent in Spanish while taking language immersion courses, and volunteer leading trekking groups in the Western Highlands of Guatemala.
Reforestation & Conservation
Costa Rica, Nepal, India, Haiti, Kenya, Thailand, Bolivia, Guatemala, Tanzania
(*if you’re interested in a specific place, let us know! We have contacts and partners across the globe.)