- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Argentina, Canada, Chile, India, Mexico, New Zealand, Sweden, Tanzania, Multiple Locations
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: High School, College
- Program Length: Semester
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Selective: No
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay, Other, Tents
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships, Payment Terms
Explore the world on a wilderness expedition. Dive into a study abroad experience like no other. Travel to one of our campuses around the world, then head into the wilderness. On a NOLS course, you’ll embrace experiential learning, earning academic credit as you get to know a new place and culture firsthand.
In the beginning, you’ll work on building key outdoor and leadership skills under the guidance of experienced instructors. At the same time, you’ll engage with local communities through daily interactions and structured homestays. You’ll return to your home university with the confidence to lead in class, outdoors, and beyond.
On a NOLS course, you’ll find unique opportunities to engage with local communities as you explore beautiful and remote wilderness areas. Far from the tourist centers, you’ll immerse yourself in local culture. That might include helping your host family heard livestock in Patagonia, chatting with local fishermen in Baja, or practicing your conversational Hindi over a cup of chai in the Himalayas.