- Listing Type: Private Schools
- Residency: Day, Residential
- Type: Private
- Grades Offered: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Country: United States
- High School Admission Test: SSAT
- CEEB: 221995
- IPED: 2161011
- Tution Boarding: $69,100
- Tution Day: $55,000
- Enrollment: $406
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships
The Governors Academy combines centuries of tradition with a dedication to educational innovation. Students flourish in a diverse community distinguished by enduring relationships with teachers, a commitment to learning, and a thoughtful balance of academics, athletics, arts and service.
Reflecting the goals of our mission statement, The Governors Academy ensures academic and co-curricular programs develop skills we believe to be essential for Governors graduates. The faculty is committed to preparing graduates to be able to:
- Think critically and solve problems.
- Collaborate effectively with other people to achieve common goals.
- Communicate effectively in written, oral, digital, and graphic formats.
- Be thoughtful and engaged readers.
- Access and analyze information.
- Adapt readily to new situations and information.
- Understand themselves as members of a larger community and act within a moral and ethical framework.
Our school motto, non sibi sed aliis, is Latin for not for self but for others. At Governors, we live that motto every day, from small kindnesses to environmental awareness to volunteer efforts. Service to the community has long been a tradition at the Academy, and today every student completes a minimum of 100 hours of community service before graduation.
The Governer's Academy is the oldest continuously operating boarding school in the United States, where men and women in grades 9 through 12 prepare to become the citizen leaders of tomorrow. More than 400 students from 23 states and 19 countries create a vibrant, fascinating global community. Two-thirds board and one-third are day students.