Founded in 1959 on a phonics-based curriculum, Jackson Academy remains proudly independent, edcuating grades K3-12, located in Jackson, Mississippi. We believe that phonics, in-depth reading, time for play, and an exploration of the arts all contribute to stronger outcomes for student success.
Each student brings important, different academic interests, talents, and abilities to the JA community. In addition to the core English, math, history, and science classes, Upper School students can choose from a wide range of electives in art, music, religion/spirituality, communications, and multimedia. Honors and Advanced Placement courses as well as Academic Resource Center (ARC) availability assist each student in developing to his or her individual, complete potential.
Some Highlights of the Upper School Experience include:
- The Apple One-to-One program continues with the use of MacBook Air laptops in the Upper School. Students examine and refine effective online research practices, develop computer-aided presentation and communication skills, and explore the world through the information and connections available online all while learning to be good digital citizens.
- A variety of electives such as computer programming, film production, Latin and other languages, and financial management (among many, many others) helps students engage with particular interests and career opportunities.
- A strong guidance-counseling program keeps students on track with the ACT testing, college admissions, and financial aid processes. Counselors alert students to scholarship possibilities, ways to strengthen their applications, and more. JA also sponsors a college fair for students.
- Middle School and Upper School students explore spirituality and faith during four required chapel services each year. Additional chapel attendance is voluntary and encouraged.
- From Jazz Band to Showchoir, from fast-pitch softball to the Obscure Sport Club, and from the Cum Laude Society to Habitat for Humanity, students can develop their talents and passions through a variety of extracurricular, athletic, and service outlets.
- Cherished traditions and events like Grad Night, Features Pageant, annual musicals such as Bye Bye Birdie, and more bring Upper School students together, creating lifelong memories of their time at JA.
Upper School students also take great pride in serving as leaders within the JA community, as part of Raider Night, Book Buddies, Big Sisters/Brothers, and other mentorship programs.
- JA graduates have attended more than 160 colleges and universities. In three recent years, 10 percent of the medical graduate students enrolled at the University of Mississippi were JA alumni.