- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Four Weeks
- Entering Grade: 12th, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Sub-Categories: Surfing
- Selective: No
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
Join Carpe Diem this summer to spend four-weeks on Maui with a small group of like-minded travelers and two experienced leaders! We have designed this program for students who love the natural world so come be humbled by the grandeur of the ocean, the migrations of whales, the vibrance of the land, and the magic of the Aloha.
Our Hawai'i summer program is open to students between the ages of 17-22. College credit is available!
Program Highlights Include:
Live and work on a regenerative farm/permaculture site.
Learn to surf from local experts.
Gain an introduction to the Hawaiian culture and language as well as traditional knowledge such as star navigation, food systems, and mythology.
Trek and camp in the lush Hawaiian wilderness.
Learn about the unique ecology of the land and sea while experiencing one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
During this four-week program, we'll explore the following questions:
- How do permaculture and organic farming methods enhance people's connection to local food systems, as well as their relationship with the local environment?
- How are local Hawaiians working to preserve the beauty and sanctity of the environment through conservation and education?
- What are some exciting and meaningful ways of connecting with the natural world?
- How are social and environmental justice connected, and how do these relate to traditional and current Hawaiian culture?
Cost and Session Information
Summer 2021: July 6 - August 3
Program tuition includes all food, accommodations, and scheduled program activities for the duration of the program. Domestic airfare, travel insurance, and spending money are extra. Domestic airfare estimated at $500-$800.