- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Online
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: June, July, August
- Session Length: Two Weeks, Four Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Academic
- Sub-Categories: Astronomy, Business, Social Justice, Animals/Nature, Entrepreneurship, Biology, Aerospace, Mentoring, Career Exploration, Environmental Science
- Selective: No
- Ages: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
- Career Clusters: Business Management and Administration
The Case Western Reserve University Pre-College Program offers flexible, online courses in the origins of the universe and social entrepreneurship for high school students. You’ll learn from CWRU instructors, be mentored by a current student or alumnus, and earn a Certificate of Completion.
About Case Western Reserve University
- CWRU is known as one of the country’s premier research institutions, preparing ambitious students for successful futures in the arts, business, engineering, humanities, natural sciences, nursing and social sciences.
- At Case Western Reserve, ranked 18th in the world for contributions to innovation*, we prepare students to invent, create, design and engineer answers to real-world challenges—then they take prize-winning solutions to market. *Nature Index Innovation
About the Case Western Reserve Pre-College Program
The CWRU Pre-College Program courses are 100% online and almost entirely asynchronous, meaning that you can complete the course whenever your schedule allows. There will be about 30 hours of overall course time over two or four weeks, depending on the session you choose, which includes engaging recorded video lessons, unit assignments, and live sessions with your mentor.
The four courses offered are:
- Engineering: From 2D Sketch to 3D Model
- Computer Science: An Introduction to Digital Technology
- Astrophysics and Evolutionary Biology: The Origins of Life
- Social Entrepreneurship: The Business of Helping Others
Astrophysics and Evolutionary Biology: The Origins of Life
Whether you want to major in a STEM subject, pre-med or seek a future in law or journalism, a good background in science is key. Take the ultimate tour of the Cosmic Zoo: from the Big Bang, to emergence of life on earth, from solar system to ecosystem. Along the way you’ll meet dinosaurs, nanoscience, mutant viruses and exoplanets and explore the depths of human consciousness. Enjoy video from two of our award-winning and most popular professors: Dr. Patricia Princehouse and Dr. Glenn Starkman.
Social Entrepreneurship: The Business of Helping Others
Discover how social entrepreneurs get started, build a value proposition, find customers, identify problems, come up with solutions and create a team. Ideal for future business majors, budding entrepreneurs and anyone with a social conscience. Enjoy video from experienced social entrepreneurs Michael Goldberg, Associate Professor, Design & Innovation and Megan Buchter, Director, Fowler Center for Business as an Agent of World Benefit.
Engineering: From 2D Sketch to 3D Model
Robotics and animation experts. Video game designers. Electrical and mechanical engineers. Architects. Product designers. Many of the world’s most exciting careers start with a basic knowledge of engineering and design. This course offers an introductory look at these skills. You’ll start with 2D sketching and progress through 3D modeling, using computer-aided design (CAD) to develop a professional final project. You’ll learn the language of design and how to communicate your ideas to other engineers.
Computer Science: An Introduction to Digital Technology
Cost and Session Information
All course options, whether 2 or 4 weeks, have the identical educational content, learning materials, and number of assignments. The difference in length of course is due to time of year (not amount of instruction). We know the school year keeps you busy, so we’ve made the course longer during that time so that you can get assignments done.
Cost: $695 - $995