- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: College Experience, STEM, Computer Science, Work Experience, Career Exploration, Artificial Intelligence
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
Explore AI by completing real-world projects created exclusively for EXPLO by the experts — and earn college credit in the process.
- Write machine learning code and get first-hand feedback from experts from Rapid7 security firm on the reliability of your code
- Analyze the bias in AI facial recognition software
- Learn to identify and combat “Deepfakes”
- Learn how AI plays a role in vaccine development
Program description: Artificial intelligence and machine learning are the dawnings of a new era in human history. These technologies will harness our mental and cognitive abilities to a degree not seen since the technological advances of the industrial revolution helped us harness our physical abilities. The impact will be felt in nearly every industry and facet of life. From biotechnology and medicine to climate change and the future of democracy, when machines improve their function without us needing to do it for them, we unlock insights about our world that we simply cannot access today. While dystopian scenarios like the ‘robots taking over’ may spring to mind, the reality is: how this civilization-altering technology unfolds is well within our hands and is being shaped by the ethical and technological decisions we make today. In the Artificial Intelligence + Machine Learning concentration, you’ll be faced with many of these important decisions through debates and discussions, simulations, case studies, and coding challenges and projects. Connect with the data scientists, researchers, and business leaders who are navigating the impacts of AI now. And, consider issues of privacy, security, bias, equity, and more as you design and implement your own machine learning process.
Our AI experts include:
- Dr. James (“Jim”) C. Spohrer: Director of Cognitive OpenTech, including open-source artificial intelligence
- Roger Smith, Ph.D.: Senior Scientist with Soar Technology, which provides AI solutions in national security for customers that include DARPA, Defense Health Agency, and the US Army
- Erick Galinkin, Ph.D.: Principal AI Researcher at Rapid7; hacker and scientist specializing in the theory of machine learning and the application of artificial intelligence to cybersecurity problems
In addition to engaging academics and career exploration, EXPLO mirrors the many opportunities undergraduate students have at their fingertips when they get to college. Learn to navigate your choices and cultivate a wide range of interests that will enrich your undergraduate experience — and your life. Attend academic sessions featuring special guest speakers, participate in student clubs, explore the natural splendor of Maine, and more. You’ll check in at your residence hall by 10:30 PM to relax with your friends and get ready for another day of exploration and adventure.