- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: June
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Career Exploration
- Sub-Categories: College Experience, Law, Work Experience
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
This concentration provides an unparalleled opportunity for students to explore the field of law by completing real-world projects created exclusively for EXPLO by the experts.
- Make your case in a mock trial with a sitting judge
- Hear from admissions experts about the various pathways for law school
- Engage in a dialogue on cases using the Socratic Seminar approach
- Watch a live judicial proceeding
- Earn college credit
Program description: If you’re passionate about justice, there’s perhaps no more direct way to engage with the moral and ethical challenges of our time than entering the courtroom. In this program, you will learn to be prepared for any number of complex legal situations that could arise. Thinking on your feet is critical; creating arguments on the fly is the objective. Start legal boot camp with a simulated law school seminar, and quickly move to the practice of law as you prepare your client for litigation. This program offers the unique opportunity to not only do a deep dive into all facets of trial advocacy techniques but also to learn about the practice of law from a team of legal experts, including Justice Richard Gabriel, who will lead students through all aspects of final trial preparation, from jury selection to closing arguments.
Our Trial Law + American Justice System experts include:
- Hon. Richard Gabriel, J.D.: Justice, Colorado Supreme Court
- James Forman, Jr.: Skelly Wright Professor of Law at Yale Law School; Pulitzer Prize-winning author
- Catherine Peña Gonzalez: Senior Staff Criminal Defense Attorney at Brooklyn Defender Services
In addition to engaging academics and career exploration, EXPLO mirrors the many opportunities undergraduate students have at their fingertips when they get to college. Learn to navigate your choices and cultivate a wide range of interests that will enrich your undergraduate experience — and your life. Attend academic sessions featuring special guest speakers, participate in student clubs, explore the natural splendor of Maine, and more. You’ll check in at your residence hall by 10:30 PM to relax with your friends and get ready for another day of exploration and adventure.