What if you could test drive your future before making a decision that defines the course of your life? ..(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Academic
- Sub-Categories: Law, Career Exploration
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Credit Awarded: No
- Call: (781) 762-7400
- Meeting: Schedule a Meeting
This concentration provides an unparalleled opportunity for students to explore the field of law by completing real-world projects created exclusively for EXPLO by the experts.
- Make your case in a mock trial with a sitting judge
- Hear from admissions experts about the various pathways for law school
- Engage in a dialogue on cases using the Socratic Seminar approach
- Watch a live judicial proceeding
- Earn college credit
College credit is available through Sarah Lawrence College. Learn more.
- Trial Preparation and Coaching with Hon. Richard L. Gabriel — Walk through the lawyer’s role in all phases of a jury trial, including jury selection, opening statement, direct and cross-examination (including objections to the introduction of evidence), and closing argument with former trial lawyer and current Colorado Supreme Court Justice Richard L. Gabriel. Justice Gabriel also teaches techniques for effective advocacy at each of these phases of a trial and the art of persuasion.
- Go to Trial — After intensive preparation, put on your suit and head to the courtroom. A sitting judge presides while you make your case.
- Socratic Style Seminar — A longstanding, powerful approach to examining complex and (sometimes) contentious ideas, the Socratic seminar is a staple of law school and engages students in a fast-paced dialogue on cases ranging from negligence to insider trading to the role of plea bargaining.
- World-Class Legal Experts — Connect with leading experts including practicing attorneys, sitting judges, and legal thought leaders who are deeply involved in the American legal system. Hear more about their work, the unique career pathways available to you, and gain insight into what has made them successful in their field — as well as the mistakes they’ve made along the way.
- Past speakers: Hon. Justice Richard Gabriel, Justice, Colorado Supreme Court; James Foreman, Jr. Professor, Yale Law School. Michael Dorf, Professor, Cornell Law School.Pre-Law and Law School Admissions — Hear from pre-law advisors and top law school admission officers about the various pathways for law school applicants.
The American Justice System attempts to settle disputes and administer justice in our complex society through a framework of laws and consequences. From copyright infringement to homicide to smartphone privacy to contract disputes, the law touches our lives on a daily basis.
In Trial Law + the American Court System, engage with the moral and ethical challenges of our time. Ponder such questions as Why do we need and allow our government to punish? How do we rationalize different degrees of punishment? What fundamental rights does everyone have, and what justifies limiting those rights? How much can and should we rely on law enforcement officers? How do race, equity, and socioeconomics impact practices like profiling? And How do you defend a client you think is actually guilty? As you attempt to answer these questions, start a legal boot camp with a simulated law school seminar and quickly move on to essential lawyering skills as you prepare for trial.
Cost and Session Information
Session 1: June 25 – July 14, 2023
Session 2: July 16 – Aug 4, 2023
Tuition at EXPLO is all-inclusive in nature: it includes all programming costs, course supplies, room and board, food, evening events, social clubs, and entertainment.
Industry-leading Program/Travel Protection plans are available.