- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: College Experience, Computer Science, Engineering, Work Experience, Artificial Intelligence
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
This concentration provides an unparalleled opportunity for students to explore engineering with real-world projects created exclusively for EXPLO by the experts shaping the future of the profession.
- Write and modify code using Raspberry Pi or Arduino
- Learn iterative design from engineers and work on project prototypes
- Create a fuel cell capable of cleanly converting hydrogen to usable electric energy
- Make an AI-enabled self-driving car
Program description: From fusion power to nanotechnology to artificial intelligence, the potential solutions to many of the world’s most urgent problems lay at our fingertips. Engineers are at the front lines of developing and applying these technologies in the areas of maximum impact, such as climate change and medicine. They’re critical thinkers, problem solvers, and creatives; in this concentration, you’ll be challenged to think along the same lines. Investigate a problem, understand end-user requirements, design a solution, create and test a prototype, collect data to measure effectiveness, and optimize for efficiency. You’ll also need to work across disciplines, from robotics and mechanical engineering to software and civil engineering. Many different industries rely on engineers for creative solutions and this concentration will help you understand the key differences between the various fields.
Our Engineering experts include:
- Dr. Steven Goldfarb, Ph.D.: Particle physicist working on the ATLAS Experiment at CERN, the European Laboratory for Particle Physics
- Lauren Lyons: Senior Systems Lead at Blue Origin, an organization whose mission is to build a road to space with reusable launch vehicles to “so that our children can build our future”
- Marcia Isakson, Ph.D., IR&D: Strategic Programs Director, Applied Research Laboratories, University of Texas at Austin
In addition to engaging academics and career exploration, EXPLO mirrors the many opportunities undergraduate students have at their fingertips when they get to college. Learn to navigate your choices and cultivate a wide range of interests that will enrich your undergraduate experience — and your life. Attend academic sessions featuring special guest speakers, participate in student clubs, explore the natural splendor of Maine,
and more. You’ll check in at your residence hall by 10:30 PM to relax with your friends and get ready for another day of exploration and adventure.