- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Hawaii
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Four Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Sub-Categories: Swimming, Hiking
- Selective: No
- Ages: 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
A nature and adventure-lover's paradise, Hawaii welcomes visitors with incredible vistas, amazing hiking, and the opportunity to dive deep into conservation and permaculture.
“Indulge your spirit of adventure on the biggest Hawaiian island. It’s still a vast frontier, full of unexpected wonders. Gaze at vivid emerald cliffs, swaths of black, white and even green-sand beaches, majestic volcanic mountains (possibly snowcapped!), stark lava desert, rolling pastureland and misty valleys, weathered by rain, waves and time. Hawai?i is twice as big as the other Hawaiian Islands combined, and its dramatic terrain is ever fascinating.” -Lonely Planet
Blending awe-inspiring beauty and transformational learning and service in the areas of permaculture, natural building, and climate justice with a foundation of Hawaiian culture and exploring social justice issues, this program will be an unforgettable, perspective-shattering experience.
- Experience the power of nature and creation as you watch lava give birth to new earth as it merges with the ocean at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
- Immerse yourself into Hawaiian culture: language, food, mythology. Learn about the Hawaiian sovereignty movement and hear ‘story’ from elders in the community.
- Practice M?lama ‘?ina (to take care of the land) as you dive into the key principles of permaculture, traditional and modern approaches to sustainability, eco-forward practices, and climate justice.
- Experience 11 of the 13 microclimates, all on one island and get way beyond the traveler’s track.
We are also excited to announce that all students have the opportunity to earn 3 college credits on all summer programs! Please visit our website for more information.
Cost and Session Information
$7395 + airfare. Financial aid is available
Students also have the ability to earn 3 college credits for an additional cost of $1195.