- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: July, August
- Session Length: One Week
- Entering Grade: Below 6th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Marine Biology, STEM
- Selective: No
- Ages: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
Our teen science and leadership camps are packed with experiential learning adventures along Hurricane Island's breathtaking coastline, beaches, and trails. Challenge your mind as you explore, observe, and ask questions like a trained naturalist; challenge your body by hiking, and learning how to sail and rock climb.
Spend a week on Hurricane Island, a beautiful, 125-acre, off-the-grid island in Penobscot Bay! Our popular week-long summer programs (for students ages 11-13, 13-15, 15-18) are packed with hands-on activities that help students to think, observe, and ask questions like trained naturalists, develop leadership skills, immerse themselves in the natural history and ecology unique to the island, and connect and learn from their peers, forming friendships and sharing laughs both while they learn and relax on Hurricane Island. And there's all the fun you'd expect being on an island in Maine.
- Sailing in Penobscot Bay
- Hiking, swimming, star gazing
- Rock climbing and rappelling in an old granite quarry
- Drawing, sculpture, building, and creative problem solving
We encourage interested students to sign up for any or all of the programs listed below and improve their skills as a naturalist, observer, and recorder of change in our natural world. Join the Hurricane Island Community today!
- Living on the Edge Jr. Program: Ages 11-13
- Living on the Edge: Discovering Island Species that Survive and Thrive; Ages 13-15
- Island Ecology: Foraging Plants for Fun & Food; Ages 15-18
- Marine Biology: Ocean Shore to Sea Floor; Ages 15-18
Offshore Ornithology: Seabirds, Songbirds, and Raptors in the Wild; Ages 15-18