- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: China, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Morocco, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkey, Taiwan, South Korea, Ukraine
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: June
- Session Length: Six Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Language
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
The National Security Language Initiative for Youth program is part of a government iniative to help American students develop linguistic skills.
This program is designed to foster international cooperation by American students as they gain the necessary cultural knowledge to communicate globally. Accepted students receive a scholarship to study a new language and culture overseas. NSLI-Y offers a variety of programs in many different locations around the world. Some of these destinations may include Belarus, Estonia, India, China, Latvia, Russia, and Turkey. The languages offered include Arabic, Mandarin, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Persian, Russian, and Turkish. No previous knowledge or experience of the language is required to apply to a specific program.