Study art and design with Parsons' world-class faculty while experiencing the creative inspiration of New York City in our academically rigorous and artistically stimulating three-week, three-credit intensive program. Our fully immersive courses are tailored to high-schoolers preparing to apply for college and feature thought-provoking skill-building project-based learning, art and design field trips, guest speakers from industry, and portfolio reviews...(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Online
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Four Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Performing & Visual Arts
- Sub-Categories: Filmmaking and Digital Media
- Selective: No
- Ages: 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Credit Awarded: No
This program is not running in 2023. Please check back for details regarding next summer.
Make movies that make a difference. Students with The School of Media Studies learn filmmaking techniques and tools while immersing themselves in producing critically engaged movies. The online course is open to rising high school juniors and seniors, ages 16 and above.
This summer filmmaking intensive course for high school students (rising juniors and seniors, age 16+) combines 16mm filmmaking craft with high-definition (HD) digital techniques and tools, immersing students in the history and practice of making movies. Students gain a critical understanding of how reimagining the city through multimedia storytelling engages, provokes, delights, and informs audiences. Their artistic and socially engaged short film projects are screened publicly at the end of the course.
What You'll Gain
- Experience creating a technically accomplished short film
- Understanding of the impact of movies on society and their relationship to contemporary forms of citizenship
- Knowledge of the communicative language of cinema and its expressive techniques
- Appreciation of the modes of filmic expression beyond the conventional scripted narrative
How You'll Learn
- Engagement with the history of a range of cinematic practices
- Practice articulating personal aesthetics and ideas
- Collaboration with a community of dedicated students
Grades, Credits, and Transcripts
Most colleges accept credits earned in the summer filmmaking intensive course. At the end of the program, you can access your grade through our online student information system. Transcripts must be requested from the Registrar's Office. You will receive a student handbook with information explaining this process in detail.
Cost and Session Information
$3,630; includes tuition and supplies. Students are expected to have access to a camera (a camcorder, video-capable still camera, or smartphone) and a personal computer. Full payment is required at the time of registration. Additional university fees are not included in the cost.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. The filmmaking intensive is subject to availability and space is limited; students are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Class schedule: Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:50 p.m., with a one-hour lunch break at noon.
Location: New York City campus