- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Ecuador, Galapagos Islands
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Four Weeks, Five Weeks
- Entering Grade: 12th, PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Sub-Categories: Hiking
- Selective: No
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
Experience an inspiring summer as you snorkel in The Galapagos Islands, spot wildlife and raft through the Amazon Jungle in Ecuador!
This summer program in the Galapagos Islands and Ecuador will take your breath away! It is impossible not to be in awe of this incredible country. It has so much diversity for its size, which makes it truly amazing to explore – high Andean mountains, the Amazon jungle, fascinating indigenous cultures, volcanoes, hot springs, AND stunning wildlife, beaches and astounding marine environments.
Our one-month summer program in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands combines 3 separate volunteer projects with exciting adventure travel. Follow in Darwin’s footsteps with a nature-focused 3 weeks island-hopping through the Galapagos where you’ll learn about environmental sustainability and conservation and work alongside local NGO communities. Have incredible, up-close wildlife encounters, raft in the Amazon Basin, hike the local volcanoes, kayak the turquoise ocean waters and watch for turtles. Immerse yourself in Ecuadorian culture and gain insight into the lives of indigenous Andean and Amazon communities. You’ll return from this summer program inspired by all you’ve experienced and learned…and most likely planning your return!
- Three separate volunteer projects learning about community development and environmental sustainability
- 2-day rafting trip in the Amazon Basin, camping on the river bank (no experience needed)
- Soak in the hot springs at Papallacta
- An unforgettable 3 weeks island-hopping and volunteering in the Galapagos Islands
- Snorkel Kicker Rock, one of the best locations for spotting the incredible marine life
- Hike Sierra Negra volcano
- Have close encounters with marine iguanas, giant tortoise, sea turtles and blue footed boobies – to name a few!
- Swimming in the warm waters of spectacularly beautiful beaches like Tortuga Bay
- Snorkeling at Tintoreras and Florena
- Day trip to the Charles Darwin Research Station in Santa Cruz
- Very personalized and supportive small group experience – maximum 14 students