- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United Kingdom
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Performing & Visual Arts
- Sub-Categories: Music
- Selective: No
- Ages: 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Credit Awarded: No
Our saxophone programme is for 14–18 year olds who love playing any of the different types of saxophone and who are keen to develop all aspects of their solo and ensemble playing whilst also discovering new repertoire and styles, gaining performance experience and exploring the capabilities of their instrument. Find out more!
We strongly believe in the importance of nurturing the all-round musician and as such, have created a varied programme of workshops and classes to make sure all areas are catered for.
Each day, students receive solo and ensemble tuition. Our saxophone students have the opportunity to perform in quartets and ensembles as well as with students studying on other programmes at Ingenium.
Teachers will cover topics including:
- Repertoire (Classical and Jazz)
- Sight reading
Our Saxophone Programme gives the students the opportunity to expand their knowledge of all styles and periods of music, from Baroque to Minimalism to Jazz, celebrating the versatility of the Saxophone instrument.
Students learn, develop and improve their jazz improvisation, articulation and sound in workshops given by the very best players and teachers from the London jazz scene.
Members of our pastoral staff are also conservatoire saxophone students and will be on hand to mentor and support students in their private practice and development.
Concerts and Performance Opportunities
During the three-week summer school, students perform two public concerts - one in a prestigious venue in central London and in our final showcase concert on campus at Winchester College's concert hall. In addition to these two public performances, students also have weekly performance opportunities at our internal Performance Platforms.
These evenings provide a friendly, safe and informal environment for students to experiment and to develop their performance skills, conquer nerves and build confidence.Parents and friends are welcome to attend our public performances. More information will be provided about these nearer the time.
Every week, our students will also have the opportunity to take part in a wide range of vocal, instrumental and musical workshops led by internationally renowned experts in jazz, chamber, folk and international music. These workshops are designed to broaden each student's musical experience by exposing them to something new and challenging.
Previous workshops have included:
- Musical awareness, performance skills and interpretation
- Composition and arranging
- Jazz improvisation and performance
- Instrumental improvisation and devising music
- Chamber and small ensemble playing
- Beatboxing and a cappella
- Life in the music industry
- Conducting and group leadership
- Gospel choir
- Healthy instrumental practice techniques and avoiding injury
- African drumming, body percussion and dance