- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: One Week
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Academic
- Sub-Categories: Law, Literature, Reading, STEM, Gifted, History, Arts
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
- Application Deadline: 05/01/20
- Call: (800) 727-9238
The Summer Academy offers participants a rich experience reading and discussing original texts in lively conversations led by St. John's faculty. Through collaborative inquiry, students learn to listen actively and articulate their ideas.
Two consecutive weeks, each designed around an engaging theme, are offered. Students live in college dorms alongside trained Resident Assistants and enjoy off-campus day-trips that enhance the curricula and give time to explore. Held in Annapolis Maryland, the Summer Academy provides an authentic, hands-on introduction to the liberal arts, the great books, and to St. John's unique pedagogy.
High school students aged 15-18 are able to experience the distinctive learning community of St. John's College through an immersive, weeklong course of study. Participants delve into primary texts and engage in stimulating discussions chosen to highlight questions central to the human mind and spirit.
With exciting classroom activities and numerous field trips, the Summer Academy provides many opportunities to build friendships with like-minded peers both in and out of the classroom. Off-campus excursions are fun and provide a great introduction to the rich culture and history of the surrounding area.
During the week, students attend small classes in three subject areas (seminar, lab, language, etics, and/or logic & rhetoric) that are modeled on the college's Socratic teaching method and taught by our experienced faculty. Participants are encouraged to think for themselves, to express their opinions, to listen to and understand ideas which may differ from their own, and to develop an intellectual confidence in their own abilities.
Daily activities include workshops, study groups, and down-time for studying and hanging out with new friends. Students live in college dormitories alongside Resident Assistants--current or recently graduated St. Johns students--and eat in the campus dining hall.
The work is challenging, rewarding, and intensely personal. Participants find that as they develop their own thoughts and consider the opinions of others, they come to understand themselves. In only a week's time, minds are sharpened and views on education and life are transformed.
Our sister campus in Santa Fe, New Mexico offers three weeks of exceptional Summer Academy programming--see St. John's College Summer Academy, Santa Fe Pre-College to learn more.
For more information, check out our website!
Cost and Session Information
Summer 2021 Academy Dates
- Exploring Human Nature: Literature, Poetry, and Drama: Annapolis, MD - June 27 to July 3, 2021
- Power and Politics: The Great and the Good: Annapolis, MD - July 4 to July 10, 2021
- Courage and the Soul: Exploring Human Virtue: Santa Fe, NM - July 11 to July 17, 2021
- Art and Nature: Intersection of Imagination and Ingenuity: Santa Fe, NM - July 18 to July 24, 2021
- The American Experiment: Foundations of Democracy: Santa Fe, NM - July 25 to July 31, 2021
To find out more about tuition and program costs, be sure to check out our website