- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Day, Residential
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: June
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Performing & Visual Arts
- Sub-Categories: Music
- Selective: No
- Ages: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: Free
- Accreditation: American Camp Association
Crane Youth Music (CYM) was founded in 1973. To this day, CYM continues its heritage of outstanding and cost-effective musical training for middle- and high-school musicians, ages 12-18, throughout the United States.
The staff includes Crane School of Music faculty supplemented by additional guest artists/teachers.
Performance Opportunites at CYM include:• Camp Choir • String Orchestra • Symphony Orchestra • Chamber Choir • Chamber Music • Concert Band • Jazz Ensemble • Jazz Band • Piano • Symphonic Band • Wind Ensemble • Voice • Treble Choir • Men's Ensemble • Harp •
All students attend master classes taught by master teachers, perform in large group ensembles, and have the opportunity to receive training in music theory and aural skills. • String performers participate in string sectionals and chamber music groups in addition to orchestra.
- Pianists receive individual lessons, coaching, and group piano instruction in the electronic piano labs.
- Vocalists perform in a variety of choral ensembles and work in small class lessons as well as master classes.
- Woodwind, brass and percussion instrumentalists rehearse with a band twice daily and also perform in like instrument ensembles.
Crane has an outstanding choral heritage and all students have the opportunity to perform in the all-camp choir.
CYM campers learn from master teachers in superb facilities. The four-building Crane complex houses the 1,200-seat Helen M. Hosmer Concert Hall, the 450-seat Sara M. Snell Music Theater, 15 classrooms, 4 large rehearsal rooms, 60 studios, 70 practice rooms, and a music library.
More than 250 students attend Crane Youth Music each year. In the past 41 years nearly 12,250 young musicians have participated in the program. Many CYM alumni are performing in major symphonies or teaching in universities and schools nationally. Recreational activities are available in the afternoon and evening concerts include performances by student groups, visiting artist-performers, and Crane faculty. This summer, students will once again have the opportunity to attend concerts featuring professional artists.