- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Day
- Session Start: June
- Session Length: Two Months
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Leadership
- Selective: No
- Ages: 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: Free
- Accreditation: American Camp Association
The Counselor in Training Program is designed to give teens interested in becoming a summer Y camp counselor a chance to learn and develop their skills as a leader. Through this program, participants will learn how to lead games, teach cheers, supervise a group of children grades K-8, and understand the importance of group work.
Along with learning the skills needed to lead a group, teens will learn valuable confidence building life skills such as responsibility, time management, and organization. To enforce group bonding and team work, CIT’s will go on fieldtrips every other week such as: bowling, ice skating, and movies to name a few. All participants will meet at the Chinatown YMCA and will need to bring a bag lunch every day.
Participants should meet these requirements:
- Ability to supervise and ensure the safety of participants throughout the program.
- High level of motivation to participate and lead recreational activities, such as camp songs,group games, drama and art.
- Willingness and enthusiasm to work with diverse groups of people; diverse in terms of ages,race, class, gender, ability, etc.