- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Day, Residential
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Four Weeks
- Entering Grade: 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Academic
- Sub-Categories: Architecture, College Application, Study Skills
- Selective: Yes
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Career Clusters: Architecture and Construction
- Credit Awarded: Yes
embARC is an immersive summer design program at UC Berkeley’s College of Environmental Design that brings together rising junior and senior high school students from diverse backgrounds to explore architecture, urban design and sustainable city planning through integrated components: an Architecture + Urban Design Studio, a Sustainable City Planning Workshop, a Digital Design Workshop, an Environmental Design Conversation Series and a Materials Exploration Workshop.
The embARC program is comprised of the following components that together provide a comprehensive framework and multi-disciplinary approach to "placemaking":
ARCHITECTURE + URBAN DESIGN STUDIO - Instruction in freehand sketching, drafting, model building and digital representation teaches students how to conceptualize and communicate two and three-dimensional design ideas.
SUSTAINABLE CITY PLANNING WORKSHOP - Students engage as genuine stakeholders and participants in a community change process through site observations, research and the development of an authentic urban planning question.
ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN CONVERSATION SERIES - Presentations and talks by invited professional practitioners and CED-based guest lecturers provide a framework for the ideas and methods that support the theory and practice of environmental design. Students are given the opportunity to engage in the discourses of the discipline in guided discussion groups.
DIGITAL DESIGN WORKSHOP - Building skills in digital representation, this series of focused workshops prepares students for technology-driven college-level design curricula, while also introducing participants to the latest software and digital tools available in the profession.
Participating in embARC allows students to:
- explore architecture, urban design and city planning as possible college majors and careers
- develop a design portfolio to use for college applications
- work in a team with peers who have similar interests
- earn college credit on an official UC Berkeley transcript
For additional information, check out our website!