- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Day
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: One Week
- Entering Grade: 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Engineering
- Selective: No
- Ages: 14, 15, 16, 17
- Minimum Cost: Free
The Summer Engineering Academy at The University of Tulsa for Precollege Students is for students interested in careers in electrical and mechanical engineering.
This cost free, day-only, commuter academy, allows students to experience engineering through hands-on design projects, seminars, industry professional interaction, and an integrated project related to traffic crash reconstruction. The faculty of the Academy includes professors from the Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Education Departments at TU and local high school teachers.
The objectives of our program are:
- To make students aware of engineering career opportunities through hands-on design projects, seminars, and tours of local companies.
- To train middle school and high school teachers in engineering related activities and provide support to the teachers in implementing academy exercises within the teachers’ classroom during the regular school year.
- To attract more Oklahoma students into engineering study to help meet Oklahoma technical employer needs.
- To illustrate the need for students to develop math and science skills to tackle challenging and interesting engineering problems.