- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: India
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Session Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Entering Grade: 11th, 12th, PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Selective: No
- Ages: 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
Explore the diverse culture of India by travelling across different cities and states, taking part in culturally immersive activities and meaningful volunteer work. Try something different this year. Travel to India, gain a cross-cultural perspective and make the memories of a lifetime.
Availability is dependent on India’s current COVID-19 situation, please contact us at our website for the most up-to-date information.
With 29 states, 7 union territories, 497 cities, 7935 towns, 600,000+ villages, thousands of ethnicities and dialects, and millions of people, India is a land full of diversity and colours. No wonder it has been aptly named "beautiful chaos".
Our Social Travel projects have been curated especially for young international travellers who want to do something different from their peers during their break or gap year. These travel experiences provide participants like you with amazing insights about Indian culture along with interactions with travellers from all around the world. Gaining such valuable experiences at a young age helps build a much better understanding of the world around you and ensures that you develop into a World citizen and a changemaker.
All the activities planned during your travel have been carefully planned to ensure a wholesome and immersive experience while in India. Various activities such as Heritage tour of Taj Mahal, camping, white water rafting, wheel pottery, yoga workshop etc have been set up for the participants.
Throughout the travel, the participants will work with grassroots level organisations helping create an impact on the local community. Volunteer work such as teaching children, women empowerment, community service, animal care etc will be allotted to the participants according to their talents and skills.
Available projects for you:
1) Social Travel: North India - This is a 4 weeks+ travel program during which you'll travel across 16+ cities in North India. The project covers everything from the lower Himalayan ranges to the royal deserts of Rajasthan and the historically rich cities of Delhi and Agra. This is one of our most popular projects amongst young travellers, if you aim to travel extensively while creating an impact with your travel then this is the project for you.
2) Volunteer in Delhi - Delhi is a huge city with a unique mix of globalisation and heritage. A surprising balance with perhaps one of the most sophisticated metro systems in the world on one side and heritage gems such as Qutab Minar on the other, this city is like no other. Generally prefered amongst travellers who have a time constraint, this project is perfect for a duration of 2 - 4 weeks. Being centrally located in North India, you can use your time here to create a deep and meaningful impact while using your weekends to explore nearby places such as the Tibetian settlements in Dharamshala, the Taj Mahal in Agra and the ghats of Varanasi.
3) Volunteer in Jaipur - The capital of one of the most royal and heritage-rich states of Inda, visiting Jaipur or the Pink City is definitely an amazing experience. The city has managed to maintain its unique culture for centuries with markets still selling handicrafts which have been passed down generations and huge palaces and forts lines across the city. With an amazing community service initiative being run here, you can create a visible impact by spending your days in the slums outlining the city distributing food and clothes amongst the poor while teaching young children. During your free time, you can explore the beautiful heritage of Rajasthan such as going for a jeep safari in the sand dunes of Jaisalmer or relaxing in the ghats of Pushkar.
4) Volunteer in Rishikesh - Often referred to as the yoga capital of the world, this is the place to be if you want some peace of mind. You'll probably find more international travellers here than Indians. Visited by travellers from around the world for gaining some perspective, it has been famously visited by The Beetles and Steve Jobs as well. You can use your time here to learn some yoga or relax by the riverside. For the more adventure hearted, this spiritual city is also famous for one of the best white-water rafting and bungee jumping in the world. The options and opportunities here are endless.
On signing up, you are assigned an Experience Captain who guides you throughout the process of applying for a VISA, flight tickets, vaccinations, packing checklist etc.
You will be picked up by an assigned coordinator at the airport and dropped off at your accommodation. Your Experience Captain will be here to greet you and guide you on your first day in India. A SIM Card will be provided on the first day itself to ensure we can stay in touch through your travel with us. He will then show you around the local markets and the essentials such as a grocery store, chemist etc. A small orientation will also cover things such as important apps to be downloaded and kept in phone, safety guidelines etc.
Your Experience Captain will be your point of contact throughout the duration of your travel with us and will be available 24*7 to help you with anything that you might need.
All the properties that you are hosted in are carefully vetted to ensure complete safety, hygiene and comfort. Basic necessities such as a clean washroom, cooking area, fresh linen, AC etc are easily available and accessible.
Property types that you can expect:
3) Host Family
Provided room type will be either a double/triple sharing room in case of Guesthouses and Host Families and a four-six sharing dorm in case of hostels.
All three meals of the day are provided. The meals provided are home-cooked, vegetarian meals.
Airport pickup and drop is included. Travel across all cities and for activities is also included. Travel inside the city is also partially included.
Why travel The Tarzan Way?
Culturally immersive: Our vision is to provide a culturally immersive experience to travellers. India is one of the most culturally diverse nations out there spread over 29 states with 22 languages, over 700 dialects and 9 religions, visiting this country without exploring this diversity is no less than a crime.
We have crafted our Social Travel Experiences in a manner to ensure that all the participants get to explore the diverse culture through various immersive activities, trips and sessions.
Community-driven: The goal of our Social Travel Experiences is to provide meaningful volunteer work to our volunteers. We do so by working with impactful NGOs and making sure the job roles allotted to the participants are as goal-driven as possible. All the workplaces are routinely checked by our local team to ensure meaningful volunteering work is taking place.
Affordability: Being run by young travellers like you, we have made sure that our prices are as affordable as possible to make your travel plans a reality. You will not get prices more affordable and transparent than ours anywhere else. We are able to make this possible because being a travel company based in India, we have amazing partners all across the country ensuring the cheapest and best possible prices without having to compromise on quality, safety or comfort.
Local Support: With a dedicated local team available 24*7, we make sure you have someone to rely on at all times. The Experience Captain assigned to you is like your friend, guide and guardian, making sure you have the best possible experience.
Safety: Having hosted 900+ travellers, we know how to ensure total safety for you. Stringent rules have been set up for all hosts, workplace or partner participating in our travel experience. Regular checks by our local team ensure that the quality and safety factor is always maintained.
International Community: With travellers joining our travel experiences from all across the globe, get ready to become part of a huge community of like-minded travellers from diverse countries. Friendships built during such experiences often last a lifetime.
Independence: While we try to make our experiences as immersive and activity based as possible, we want you to have complete independence with regards to where to go and what to do. Ample amount of free time has been allotted to make sure you can do what you love.